Looking for a rewarding career?
Consider a career with the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce.
Director of EventsLearn More
The Director of Events is responsible for the planning, coordinating and execution of all events hosted by the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce (“SCC”) in a manner that serves and impresses the members and participants. The position is responsible for creating, monitoring and meeting the event budgets and ensuring goals of the events are met or exceeded.
This position is 30 hours per week.
- Project Manager for major SCC annual events (currently Political Forum, SCC Annual Conference, Deputy Minister’s Breakfast, Chairs Invitational Dinner and ABEX). This role will take the lead on all events and may delegate tasks to other staff, as appropriate, for large events.
- Coordinate smaller events – plan facilities, set menu and order food, book accommodations and AV (i.e. Board Meetings and Staff Retreat).
- Provide reports to the CEO on the status of all major events after completion. These reports will include sponsor and participant lists, budgets, program results, participant survey results, issues and recommendations for the next annual event.
- Logistics – Responsible for booking facilities, including tendering RFPs for certain events, reviewing costs, selecting facility, and tendering AV. Also responsible for selecting AV outsourcing, coordinating the entire process, running a rehearsal the day of the event, deciding on food, beverage, décor and arranging the seating plan. This role is responsible for all logistics for all SCC events.
- Budgeting – Responsible for creating, projecting, planning and monitoring the annual budget for all events. PLUS a projection budget will be completed for specific events prior to the event. Budgets need to be met or come in better than plan.
- Set-up ticketing for all events in Chamber software.
- Event Planning & Coordination – in addition to the above, this role will proof sponsor signage, promotional material and event invitations designed by other staff members. Anything going out of the office in terms of events will be proofed by this role.
- Responsible for set up and tear down of all events.
- Event specific duties are outlined in regular staff meetings.
- Other duties and projects as required by the CEO.
ABEX Additional Responsibilities:
- Assist Director of Member Engagement with soliciting ABEX nominees and making calls to business owners to promote and sell tickets (if needed).
- Assist in personal calls to finalists.
Qualifications & Education Requirements
- Project management experience or accreditation is preferred.
- Some post-secondary education is beneficial.
- 5+ years’ professional work experience in the areas of event planning, marketing, communication activities, and/or project management.
- 5+ years’ experience in planning and implementing events.
- The ability to work well independently on several projects concurrently.
- Extensive experience working with executives, donors and volunteers; and managing, supervising and orientating people for events.
- Demonstrated high energy level and flexibility, pleasant persona coupled with sound judgment; flexible, discreet and able to maintain confidential information, knowledge of correct protocol for specific situations at events.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Awareness and knowledge of issues affecting the business community and familiarity with volunteer-based organizations is an asset.
- An interest in networking within the business community and public officials is also an asset.
- Customer Relations Management experience is an asset.
- Budgeting experience is an asset.
- The ability to manage large events and/or large projects is necessary.
- Project Management
- Creative thinking, organizational, prioritizing, and problem-solving skills; attention to detail is imperative.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills are required; also requires excellent telephone etiquette.
- Must be very well organized and have the desire and ability to finish projects on time and on budget.
- The ability to multi-task, and a proven ability to meet goals are core requirements to ensure a professional execution of all related special events.
- Commitment to working collaboratively with all staff, board members, chamber members, program participants and other supporters to ensure a successful event.
- Networking skills are required and attending events outside of SCC is highly recommended.
- Strong initiative and customer service orientation; volunteer management skills an asset.
- Negotiation skills necessary for booking facilities and soliciting sponsors.
- The ability to work in a team environment and work with a diverse group of individuals (ranging from executives, corporate leaders, public officials, volunteers, faculty and staff) and be self-motivated.
The Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce is an equal opportunities employer who provides a workplace that is free of discrimination.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all that apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.