The ABEX Awards – Celebrating Saskatchewan Business since 1984
Presented by Conexus Credit Union
In 1984, the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce introduced the ABEX Awards to honour outstanding achievements in business excellence. The Achieving Business Excellence (ABEX) Awards are the highest award for Saskatchewan business and continue to celebrate the success of businesses and business leaders across the province.
2021 ABEX Finalists
ABEX Innovation Award
FarmSimple Solutions Ltd.
Greenwave Innovation Inc.
ABEX Community Involvement Award
Fitness 2J2 Ltd.
Prairie Sky Recovery Centre
ABEX Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award
Amy Bertram, Dancer’s Edge
Cody Demerais, Limitless Clothing Gear
Daniela Mintenko, Dandy’s Artisan Ice Cream and Luxe Artisan Chocolates
ABEX Service Award
Clarity Coaching & Development
Concept3 Business Interiors Ltd.
TEAM IRON Elles Personal Training
Saskatchewan Business Hall of Fame
ABEX Priority Focus Award
Blue Moose Media
Triple A Directional Drilling
ABEX Growth & Expansion Award
9 Mile Legacy Brewing
North Country Massage & Medi Spa
ABEX New venture Award
Limitless Clothing Gear
ABEX Marketing Award
Dandy’s Artisan Ice Cream
ABEX Business Leader of the Year
ABEX Community Leader of the Year
Roger Phillips Chamber Builder Award
- Business of the Year Award sponsored by David Aplin Group – Dutch Growers
- Community Leader of the Year Award – Chief Cadmus Delorme, Cowessess First Nation
- Business Leader of the Year Award sponsored by University of Regina – Greg Yuel, PIC Investment Group
- Saskatchewan Business Hall of Fame – Flaman Group of Companies
- Roger Phillips Chamber Builder Award – Richard Ahenakew, Northern Lights Casino
- Innovation Award sponsored by Saskatchewan Polytechnic – Deveraux Group of Companies
- Marketing Award sponsored by Minard’s Leisure World – Pile O’ Bones Brewing Company
- Export Award sponsored by Saskatchewan Trade and Export Partnership – VIDO-InterVac
- Community Involvement Award sponsored by Grant Thornton LLP – Spiro’s Family Restaurant
- Priority Focus Award (Resilience) – Tangerine Group of Companies
- Young Entrepreneurs of the Year Award sponsored by Cameco – The Everyday Kitchen
- Growth and Expansion Award sponsored by PFM Capital Inc. – Dutch Growers
- New Venture Award sponsored by Saskatchewan Ministry of Trade and Export Development – SANOZONE by Ground Effects Environmental Services
- Service Award sponsored by CN – Indian Head Bakery
- Awards of Merit
- Harbour Landing Village
- Melissa Carson
- Fast Trucking
- Harbour Landing Village
- Business of the Year – JNE Welding Limited.
- Innovation Award – Sperling Silver Distillery
- New Venture Award – Greenwave Innovations
- Community Involvement Award – Spotlight Sport & Corporate Wear
- Priority Focus Award – JNE Welding Limited
- Marketing Award – Escape Manor
- Service Award – CRAVINGS maternity – baby – kids
- Growth & Expansion Award – Vendasta
- Export Award – Temple Audio Design Inc.
- Business Leader of the Year Award – Wayne Clifton
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Chelsey Harder, Passions Beauty Studio
- Community Leaders of the Year Award – Wally & Colleen Mah
- Business of the Year – Industrial Machine & Mfg. Inc.
- Innovation Award – InfraReady Products (1998) Ltd.
- New Venture Award – Ironside Energy Services
- Community Involvement Award – Affinity Credit Union
- Priority Focus Award – Orano Canada Inc.
- Marketing Award – Luxury Granite
- Service Award – Historic Reesor Ranch
- Growth & Expansion Award – Canadian Organic Spice & Herb Co. Inc.
- Export Award – Industrial Machine & Mfg. Inc.
- Business Leader of the Year Award – Grant J. Kook
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Haylie Lashta, Warman Physiotherapy & Wellness
- Community Leader of the Year Award – Donald E. Kramer
- Business of the Year – CAA Sakatchewan
- Innovation Award – IntraGrain Technologies Inc.
- New Venture Award – 9 Mile Legacy Brewing
- Community Involvement Award – S & E Trusted Online Directories
- Priority Focus Award – North Ridge Development Corporation
- Marketing Award – Diamonds of Detroit
- Service Award – CAA Saskatchewan
- Growth & Expansion Award – The Deveraux Group of Companies
- Export Award – Vendasta
- Business Leader of the Year Award – Geoff Gay
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Dustin Nehring & Taylor Lang of N.L. Construction Inc.
- Community Leader of the Year Award – Chief Tammy Cook-Searson
- Business of the Year – Hillberg & Berk
- Innovation Award – Hospitality Network Canada (2011) Inc.
- New Venture Award – Black Bridge Brewery
- Community Involvement Award – Cornerstone Credit Union
- Priority Focus Award – Park Town Hotel
- Marketing Award – Hillberg & Berk
- Service Award – Viterra
- Growth & Expansion Award – The Saskatoon Cooperative Association Limited
- Export Award – Crestline Coach Ltd
- Business Leader of the Year Award – Gavin Semple
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Elysia Vandenhurk and Natasha Vandenhurk (Three Farmers Products)
- Community Cornerstone Award – Standard Motors
- Business of the Year – Minard’s Leisure World
- Innovation Award – Bioriginal Food & Science Corp.
- New Venture Award – W Bridals ~ Curvy Couture
- Community Involvement Award – P.A.R Contracting
- Priority Focus Award – Display Systems International Inc.
- Marketing Award – Minard’s Leisure World
- Service Award – North Ridge Development
- Growth & Expansion Award – TA Foods
- Export Award – CanMar Grain Products Ltd.
- Business Leader of the Year Award – Joel Teal
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Steve McKenna – McKenna Distribution, Luxury Granite and R&M Flooring
- Community Cornerstone Award – Midwest Furniture & Appliances
- Business of the Year – Yorkton Plumbing & Heating
- Innovation Award – Peachy Printer
- New Venture Award – Quickthree Solutions
- Community Involvement Award – Redhead Equipment
- Environment Award – Three Farmers Products
- Marketing Award – S&E Trusted Online Directories
- Service Award – Yorkton Plumbing & Heating
- Growth & Expansion Award – NL Construction
- Export Award – Push Interactions Inc.
- Business Leader of the Year Award – Paul J. Hill, The Hill Companies
- Young Entrepreneur of the Year Award – Jessica Tetu – Just for You Day Spa & Gift Studio
- Community Cornerstone Award – Ted Matheson Men’s Wear
Winners dating back to the first ABEX Awards in 1984 can be found here.
Priority Focus AwardLearn More
The Achievement for Business Excellence Priority Focus Award is presented to a Saskatchewan business which has gone above and beyond in demonstration of business excellence, in an area that mirrors a select Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce policy priority. In 2021, that focus is on Digital Integration.
The COVID-19 pandemic has forced more customers online. Businesses that have taken this opportunity to enhance their online presence are benefitting from the move to an even more digitised economy. This ABEX Award will celebrate these successes.
Marketing Award Sponsored by XplornetLearn More
The Achievement for Business Excellence Award for Marketing is awarded to the business demonstrating exceptional performance in the execution of a successful marketing strategy. The jury evaluates the success of a marketing program giving consideration to the nature of the product and the relative size of the business.
Service Award Sponsored by CNLearn More
The Achievement for Business Excellence Award for Service goes to a business demonstrating exceptional performance in providing quality customer service (wholesale and retail trade, purchasing and distribution, transportation, brokering, professional services, communications, financial, etc.). Judging considers the relative size and particular conditions of the business, as well as the growth potential, stability, investment strategy, and quality of customer service initiatives.
Young Entrepreneur of the Year Sponsored by CamecoLearn More
The Achievement for Business Excellence Award for Young Entrepreneur of the Year is awarded to an entrepreneur between the ages of 18-35 (born after December 31, 1985) who has achieved success in the start-up and operation of a new or existing business. Eligible candidates must offer a product and/or service; have served at least ten customers; have long-term goals, as well as strategies to meet those goals; and, have demonstrated innovation by adapting to market place challenges resulting in a competitive advantage. Special consideration will be given to entrepreneurs who have displayed an innovative approach.
Export Award Sponsored by Saskatchewan Trade & Export PartnershipLearn More
Nominations for the Achievement for Business Excellence Award for Exports will be launched later this spring in partnership with the Saskatchewan Trade and Export Partnership to celebrate its 25th year of supporting Saskatchewan exporters.
Innovation Award Sponsored by Saskatchewan PolytechnicLearn More
The Achievement for Business Excellence Award for Innovation will be presented to a Saskatchewan business that demonstrates excellence in the utilization of an innovative product, technology or system which has tangibly contributed to improved sales and/or productivity. Judging takes into account the originality of the innovation and its impact.
Community Involvement Award Sponsored by Grant ThorntonLearn More
The Achievement for Business Excellence Award for Community Involvement goes to a business demonstrating exceptional performance in its support of the arts and culture, amateur sports, education, healthcare or voluntary groups. Judging takes into account the relative size of the business. Greater consideration is given for involvement that is not an extension of the firm’s main business activities.
Growth & Expansion Award Sponsored by PFM Capital Inc.Learn More
The Achievement for Business Excellence Award for Growth and Expansion is given to a business that has made significant changes in their business resulting in “Growth” or “Expansion”. Changes may relate to job creation and/or investment.
New Venture Award Sponsored by Government of SaskatchewanLearn More
The Achievement for Business Excellence Award for New Venture goes to a new business venture which has been in existence for 3 years or less (January 1, 2018 – December 31, 2020) and which has shown positive performance in terms of current or expected profitability, job creation and/or entry into new markets. Applicants are judged on financial criteria as well as the nature of the new venture and its impact on job creation and market expansion, also taking into account the relative size of the new venture.
ABEX Awards Judging Process
The ABEX Awards are open to all Saskatchewan-based businesses. All completed applications are forwarded by the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce to an independent auditing firm. The auditing firm scores each application using a scoring matrix.
Once the application forms have been analyzed, a judging meeting is called in mid-August. Here, a group of independent judges – business leaders, representatives from post-secondary education institutions, and past-Chairs of the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce, go through applications, debate the merits of each application and vote.
The judges select finalists per category, and then select one winner per category from the group of finalists. The winner is chosen based on the quality of the application and the business excellence of each finalist as it relates to the unique requirements of each ABEX award category.